One of our country’s problem is the steadily climbing rate of obesity. A recent study shows the adult obesity rate is now more than 30% in 36 states. Obesity brings with it a high possibility of serious health complications.
The primary cause of obesity are unhealthy eating habits and our sedentary lifestyle. We get out food delivered right to our doorstep. Most of these food are high in sugar, carbs, cholesterol and fat. More often than not, the only exercise we get for the day is the short walk to the front door to get the food from the delivery guy.
The good news is, we have a choice to ditch our unhealthy habits. Fresh food costs less and are so much better for the body. As for exercise? Having a 9 to 5 desk job is not an excuse. Here are some easy exercises that you can do at your desk or at home.
- Stretch. Let’s start with the easy part. This will prep you up so you don’t pull a muscle during more strenuous exercises. Sit straight, bend your neck sideways, keep the position for a few seconds and then reverse. Repeat this process up to 20 times.
- Reach high. This is also another exercise you can do at your desk without your officemates catching on. Interlace your fingers and then reach up as high as you can. Hold the position for a few seconds.
- Head and Shoulder Rotation. Do it clockwise, and after twenty counts do it counter clockwise. Once done, rotate both shoulders forward, and after the count of twenty, reverse. It loosens up the muscles and gets you prepped for the next exercise.
- Stand up, lift your elbows at chest level and twist your upper body to the right. Alternate left and right. Repeat multiple times.
- Reach and bend. Stand up, extend your arms and bend down. Try to reach your toes. Repeat the process. If you haven’t been active in the recent years, you may not be able to do it on the first try. Just keep trying, pretty soon you’ll be doing it like a pro.
- Jog in place. Just jog in place, or you can go around your desk. If you’re trying to keep a low profile, this will give the game away. Just explain to your coworkers what you’re doing and invite them to join you. This is very simple. Stand up, then sit back down. Repeat. Once you’ve gotten the hang of it, lose the chair.